Many wouldn’t think that I resemble a god. Maybe at one time in my life, my wife might have said that I looked like a god and that is why she married me – but today, nobody would consider my appearance anywhere near godlike.
The Bible teaches that man was made in the image, or likeness, of God. What does that really mean? We learned earlier that God is invisible, and He is a Spirit. So we know that the image of God in a man is not a physical likeness. If our likeness to God is not physical, what is it?
Here are 6 ways were are created in His likeness.
1. Personality. Man has the ability to have fellowship with other beings. (Romans 10:8-11)
2. Moral Likeness. Man has the ability to distinguish right from wrong. (Ephesians 4:24)
3. Rational nature. Man has the ability to reason and to know God and others. (Colossians 3:10)
4. Ability to rule. Man is like God in his ability to exercise dominion, to take control. (Genesis 1:26,28)
5. Self-awareness. Man has his own dreams, ambitions, hopes, fears, and motives. (Psalm 139:13-16)
6. Social nature. Man organizes his life according to the basic social unit: his family. (Genesis 2:18)
Knowing this can help us understand more fully how very special man is and how superior he is to other creatures.
OK, I admit that I don’t look like a god. I’m just glad that I am still special in God’s sight.
26 God spoke: “Let us make human beings in our image,
make them reflecting our nature
So they can be responsible for the fish in the sea,
the birds in the air, the cattle,
And, yes, Earth itself, and every animal that moves on the face of Earth.”
27 God created human beings;
he created them godlike,
Reflecting God’s nature.
He created them male and female.