Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” Genesis 1:26-28
It is incredible to me that some people believe that the “theory” of evolution is a valid explanation of the origins of humans. They teach this theory in schools as if it were truth.
Most rational people know that nature left to itself tends to lose quality, rather than improve. Things wear out. Order begins to show signs of disorder. Creatures adapt and change but they don’t become completely different creatures.
Here are 5 reasons I know that I didn’t evolve from an animal:
1. I have the power of speech – the amazing ability to communicate both concrete (real) and abstract (theoretical) ideas in a dynamic and creative way. This newsletter is proof, although I will admit that I question the creative part!
2. I have the ability to enjoy beauty. When was the last time you saw your dog appreciate the beauty of anything (besides a fire hydrant). Even if he could, he couldn’t communicate it to you!
3. I have the ability to distinguish between right and wrong. (My parents might have disagreed with this when I was younger.) Animals can be trained to know when a certain behavior will have negative consequences but it will never learn that something is morally wrong.
4. I have a deep sense of the need to worship a superior being. I know my dog worships me but that’s an exception! Really, do you think your dog actually has the capacity to worship? All humans are born with a Jesus shaped hole in their heart.
5. I can plan ahead, anticipate future needs and bring about changes of events. Just getting our four daughters to church on time is a testament to that! Animals can learn what to do in certain circumstances but they don’t creatively plan these events. Animals react and adapt.
In Genesis, we learn that all creatures were created by speaking them into existence. God said it and they were there! Man was different. God molded man. Created man from the earth and breathed life into man. Man is a special creation of God. Made in His image.
I’m glad we are special.